Master of Science in Software Engineering
Prospective students who are already familiar with the Master of Science in Software Engineering and who wish to proceed with the admission process, please apply online through RIT's Grad Enrollment office.
We recognize that there are two large groups of individuals who may be interested in an advanced software engineering degree. The first group consists of professionals without a formal baccalaureate degree in computing but who may otherwise have sufficient experience (3 years or more) developing software professionally. The second group includes recent graduates from accredited baccalaureate computing degree programs who have at least one year of software development experience.
The program's admission requirements are as follows:
- Prospective students with a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher. Prospective students from institutions that do not use the GPA scale are expected to demonstrate an equivalent level of academic accomplishment. Formal academic background in software engineering, computer science, or computer engineering is a plus.
- All students will be required to submit transcripts documenting their undergraduate studies.
- A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of at least 570 on the paper-based test, 230 on the computer-based test, or 88 on the Internet-based test is required for all applicants for whom English is not their native language.
- International applicants must provide Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores. Domestic students are encouraged to provide GRE scores.
- Professional experience developing software is preferred, but not required. Student's without prior experience may need additional bridge coursework, and increased time to graduation.
- All applicants must submit a short professional essay (1-4 pages) describing their current job (if any), relevant experience, and career plans.
- All applicants must submit a current resume, which should include a description of significant software projects in which they have participated.
- All applicants must provide 2 letters of recommendation
Return to the top
Based on our evaluation of academic and relevant experience, some applicants may be required to successfully complete (with a grade of B or better) some or all of the following bridge courses. Successful completion of bridge courses is necessary for registration in graduate-level courses.
||Introduction to software engineering
||Engineering of software subsystems
||Software requirements and specification
One of the following courses
||Principles of concurrent software systems
||Principles of distributed software systems
||Principles of information systems design
||An eligible software design seminar course
Return to the top