Software Archeology @ RIT

[ar·che·ol·o·gy] n. the study of people by way of their artifacts
Week 15 - End of the Spring Semester

14 May 2015

Wrapping Up for the Year

In the past few weeks we’ve worked on tying up loose ends so we can hand off this research to the next group of students working on Chromium research. We have been focusing most of our effort into research on social network analysis and natural language processing. Richard has been using the NLP framework we have in place to analyze technical word usage in reviews and future bugs. Some of the areas he’s been exploring are top words in messages and technical word usage on certain bug types. Brian is graduating, so he spent the last few weeks working on his NLP scripts so that next year’s team can easily use what. Samantha and I updated our SNA script to both improve performance and add additional data (information about developers) to the nodes in our graph structure. We also made the script output to a csv file so it can be loaded into our nightly build easily.

Plans for the Future

The team has been gathering some pretty interesting data and we plan to use it. In future research on Chromium the team plans to continue working on natural language processing and social network analysis of the data. There are many research questions that have already been asked, and many more to ask given the data we have. We may also look more deeply into security in chromium. I’m excited for the students who will be working on Chromium research over the next year.

A Year of Research

Working on Chromium research has been such a fulfilling experience. I learned a lot as a developer, figured out that research can be pretty cool, and connected with other researchers. I feel that I’ve gained many opportunities by working Chromium research. I would like to thank CREU for their funding and support. I would also like to thank our advisor Professor Meneely, who gave me the opportunity for such a wonderful research experience.

« Home