For notes on co-op approval, see the section below.
To enroll your co-op:
Report the position to Co-op & Career Services:
- Complete the form at https://www.rit.edu/emcs/oce/student-home
- Staff will enroll you on SIS (allow 1-2 weeks for processing)
- For technical issues, or to make an update to a previously reported co-op block, contact email@example.com
Students should also notify:
- Financial Aid: Report the co-op block through eServices: Log-in and click Financial Aid & Scholarships > Change of Enrollment
- Housing: If applicable, contact Housing Operations to adjust your contract, firstname.lastname@example.org
Be sure you complete the following prerequisites before registering for co-op:
- SWEN-262 (Engineering of Software Subsystems)
- COMM-253 (Professional Communications)
- Attendance at a Co-op Orientation Session
- You may take maximum one course while on co-op. If you are enrolled in classes for the term, email email@example.com. You will need to include if you would like to be dropped from all classes or if you want to stay in one course while you are on co-op.
- Co-op is registered on your schedule as a 0 credit class. While on co-op, you are considered a full-time student. However, during co-op, students are not eligible to receive financial aid, including private alternative loans. Contact your Financial Aid counselor with any questions.
- Report your co-op within one week of accepting a position. If you do not register your co-op promptly, you are putting your health insurance, financial aid and student loans at risk.
- Full-time students must complete a minimum of 3 co-op blocks (2 semesters and one summer). Additional co-op blocks are permitted, with advisor approval, up to a maximum of 6 blocks total.
If you found your co-op using Handshake:
- Positions found through RIT’s Handshake and labeled for Software Engineers are typically pre-approved. However, you should use your judgment; if a position does not look appropriate, contact the SE coordinator in the Co-op & Career Services Office, Stephanie Ryan, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you found your co-op using a method other than Handshake:
- Before accepting your offer, you should review the position with Stephanie Ryan.
- Provide Stephanie the following information:
- Company name
- Company address
- Point of contact, including phone & email
- Description of the duties of the position
- Required qualifications for the position
- Technologies with which you will work