Publications since joining RIT
- J. Vallino, "Ownership of Artifacts and Intellectual Property for Software-Intensive Capstone Design Projects," 2014 Capstone Design Conference, Columbus, OH. June 2014.
- Michael J. Lutz, J. Fernando Naveda, and James R. Vallino. 2014. "Undergraduate software engineering," Commun. ACM 57, 8 (August 2014), 52-58. DOI=10.1145/2632361
- Michael J. Lutz, J. Fernando Naveda, and James R. Vallino. 2014. "Undergraduate Software Engineering: Addressing the Needs of Professional Software Development," Queue 12, 6, pages 30 (June 2014), 10 pages. DOI=10.1145/2636163.2653382
- M.Lukowiak, etal, "Cybersecurity Education: Bridging the Gap Between Hardware and Software Domains," ACM Transactions on Computing Education, v4n1, March 2014.
- D. Krutz and J. Vallino, "Experiencing Disruptive Behavior in a Team Using 'Moles'," Proceedings of 2013 Frontiers in Education Conference, Oklahoma City, OK. October 2013.
- J. Vallino, "What Should Students Learn in Their First (and Often Only) Software Engineering Course?," Proceedings of 2013 Conference on Software Engineering Education and Training, San Francisco, CA. May 2013.
- L. Werner, etal, "Software Engineering Education via the use of Corporate-Sponsored Projects: A Panel Discussion of the Approaches, Benefits, and Challenges for Industry-Academic Collaboration," Proceedings of 2013 Conference on Software Engineering Education and Training, San Francisco, CA. May 2013.
- M. Lukowiak, etal, "Developing an Applied, Security-Oriented Computing Curriculum," Proceedings of 2012 ASEE Annual Conference, San Antonio, TX. June 2012.
- M. Lutz, etal, "Instilling a Software Engineering Mindset through Freshman Seminar," Proceedings of the 2012 Frontiers in Education Conference, Seattle, WA. October 2012.
- F. Naveda, etal., "The Road We’ve Traveled: 12 Years of Undergraduate Software Engineering at the Rochester Institute of Technology," Proceedings of International Conference on Information Technology: Next Generations, Las Vegas, NV, April 2009.
- J. Vallino and R. Czernikowski, "Interdisciplinary Teaming as an Effective Method to Teach Real-Time and Embedded Systems Courses," Proceedings of the Workshop on Embedded Systems Education 2008., Atlanta, GA, October 2008.
- J. McDonald, M. Sebern and J. Vallino, “Software Engineering Program Accreditation in the
.” In Software Engineering: Effective Teaching and Learning Approaches and Practices, H. Ellis, S. Demurjian and J. F. Naveda, (eds.), Information Science Reference, 2008.
and J. Vallino, “Control System Plant Simulator: A Framework for Hardware-In-The-Loop Simulation,” 2008 ASEE Annual Conference,
, June 2008.
- J.Vallino, “If You’re Not Modeling, You’re Just Programming: Modeling throughout an Undergraduate Software Engineering Curriculum,” T. Kühne, Ed.: Models in Software Engineering: Workshops and Symposia at MoDELS 2006, Lecture Notes in Computer Science v4364, Springer, pp. 291 – 300.
- J. Vallino, "If You're Not Modeling, You're Just Programming: Modeling throughout an Undergraduate Software Engineering Program," Proceedings of the 2006 Model-Driven Engineering Languages and Systems Conference Educators' Symposium. Genoa, Italy. October 2006.
- J. Vallino and R. Czernikowski, “Thinking Inside the Box: A Multi-Disciplinary Real-Time and Embedded Systems Course Sequence,” Proceedings of ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference.
, IN. October 2005.
- M. Lutz and J. Vallino, “Concurrent System Design: Applied Mathematics & Modeling in Software Engineering Education,” Proceedings of the 2005 American Society of Engineering Education Conference.
. June 2005
- R. Czernikowski and J. Vallino, "Embedded Systems Courses at RIT," Workshop on Computer Architecture Education, Special Session on Embedded Systems. Madison, WI. June 2005.
- J. Vallino and R. Czernikowski, "Work In Progress - Multi-disciplinary Real-Time and Embedded Systems Laboratory and Course Sequence," Proceedings of the ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference.
- M. Sebern, et. al., “Initial Experiences in ABET Accreditation of Software Engineering Programs,” Proceedings of the ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference. Boulder, CO. November 2003.
- J. Vallino, "Design Patterns: Evolving from Passive to Active Learning,"Proceedings of the ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, Boulder, CO, November 2003.
Publications related to my PhD thesis in Augmented Reality
- J. Vallino and K. N. Kutulakos, “Augmenting Reality Using Affine Object Representations.” In Fundamentals of Wearable Computers and Augmented Reality, W. Barfield and T. Caudell, (eds.), Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ, 2001.
- J. Vallino, "Augmenting Reality Without Camera or Scene Calibration" in Augmented Reality: Placing Artificial Objects in Real Scenes, Reinhold Behringer, Gudrun Klinker, David W. Mizell, (eds.), A. K. Peters, Ltd., Natick, MA, 1999.
- J. Vallino and C. M. Brown, “Haptics in Augmented Reality,” Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Multimedia Computing and Systems, Florence, Italy, June 1999.
- J. Vallino, We Don't Need No Stinkin' Calibration, International Workshop on Augmented Reality, 1998.
- J. Vallino, “Interactive Augmented Reality,” Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, April 1998.
- K. N. Kutulakos and J. Vallino, “Calibration-Free Augmented Reality,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, v4 n1, pp 1-20, 1998.
- K. N. Kutulakos and J. Vallino, “Non-Euclidean Object Representations for Calibration-Free Video Overlay,” Proc. International Workshop on Object Representation for Computer Vision, April 1996.
- K. N. Kutulakos and J. Vallino, “Affine Object Representations for Calibration-Free Augmented Reality,” Proc. IEEE Virtual Reality Annual Symposium, April 1996, pp. 25-36.
Publications prior to my PhD
- J. R. Vallino, “Datacube MV200 and ImageFlow User’s Guide,” CS-TR 590 and NRL 95.3 National Resource Lab. for the Study of Brain and Behavior, Department of Computer Science, University of Rochester, June 1995.
- R. Chou, P. Liu, J. Vallino and M-Y Chiu, “Behavior-based learning to control IR oven heating: preliminary investigations.” In Machine learning: from theory to applications. Cooperative research at Siemens and MIT, S. J. Hanson, W. Remmele and R. L. Rivest, (eds.) Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1993, pp. 229-40.
- “E13-90 Standard for SEMI Equipment Communications Standard Message Service (SMS) Application Notes,” in 1990 SEMI Standards, vol 2., Equipment Automation. Semiconductor Equipment and Materials Institute, 1990.
- J. M. Baratz, et. al., “Letter to the Editor: Comment on ‘A Prototype SECS Message Service for Communication in the Semiconductor Manufacturing Environment’,” IEEE Transaction on Semiconductor Manufacturing, vol. 2, no. 4, pg 178, November 1989.
- J. Vallino and T. Farlow, “Version Control Systems,” in Accessing C Tips from the Experts, Strawberry Software, Inc., Ed. New York, Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1989.
- J. Vallino, “Product Watch - PVCS 2.0,” PC Tech Journal, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 131-132, October 1988.
- J. Vallino, “Product Watch - MKS RCS 4.2c,” PC Tech Journal, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 132-136, October 1988.
- J. Vallino, “Product Watch - Seidl Version Manager 2.0, TLIB 4.02,” PC Tech Journal, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 141-146, March 1988.
- J. Vallino, “Tracking Code Modules,” PC Tech Journal, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 50-70, September 1987.
- J. Vallino, “Tech Notebook 76 - Environment Variables,” PC Tech Journal, vol. 5, no. 5, pg. 51, May 1987.
- J. Vallino, “Tech Notebook 69 - Environment Expansion,” PC Tech Journal, vol. 4, no. 11, pg. 49, November 1986.
- J. R. Vallino and J. J. Skiles, “SWITCH - An Intelligent 256-Point Contact and Voltage Monitor for Computer Use,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics and Control Instrumentation, vol. IECI-25, no. 2, pp. 141-145, May 1978.
- J. L. Stephenson, et. al., “Video Detection and Tracking of Tracer Particles in a Model Packed-Bed Reactor,” IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. IM-26, no. 2, pp. 88-91, June 1977.
Professional Development Leave
- Software as a Component in Safety-Critical Systems - Professional Development Leave academic year 2005 - 2006.
Last changed: $Date: 2015-09-29 21:05:18 -0400 (Tue, 29 Sep 2015) $